Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Polka Dot Skirt Goodness

My blog has been a little sad and lonely for a little while, but I have good reason. After quite a while, I now have an ongoing, full-time job. The obvious plus is that I now have extra money - which means I can actually afford to do a few more of my sewing projects that I've been wanting to do, the downside is that I don't have anywhere near as much time to sew anymore. I will keep going though, and will continue to share whatever projects I manage to complete, so please keep checking back.

Onto more exciting things - my wonderful new skirt that I made!

I stumbled across some polka dot material in my local Spotlight store a few months ago and I knew I just had to have it (for anyone that has been observing my fashion style lately, you'll know that I'm becoming a sucker for anything with polka dots!). So while I was in Spotlight, I decided I would look for a pattern to suit what I envisioned for the polka dots in my head. As luck would have it, I came across something perfect (how often does that happen??) and, even luckier, it was on special. Brilliant!


I used Butterick's B5613 Misses Skirt and Sash Pattern, using the version C skirt, but adding pockets (from version A) and also added lining. I'm usually an Australian size 12 and my measurements fitted within the size 18 of the pattern; I hesitated with this at first but went ahead with the size 18, half expecting to have to alter it. It fit perfectly! As in, I don't think I own a store bought skirt that fits me as well as this one, and it is really very flattering.

I very much recommend this pattern, though don't be too fooled by the "fast and easy" description on the pattern front. Though I had no problems with it, you will need to be able to sew pleats, a zipper, and some handsewing, so I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner unless you'll be receiving some guidance from someone more experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment